Monday 21 January 2013

Oh the joys of January weather.



In my glass: nothing - getting thirsty though..
From my iPod: So Good, by B.o.B.
From my bookshelf: Physiology
Outside: Mental!!
My mood: Meh..
Todays hairstyle: Diagonal french braid into low, braided side bun, held with my Ravenscroft Moon

So I've been sitting here in the library for a couple of hours, getting thirsty because I know that if I leave my seat for two minutes to go and get a drink, I'm going to lose it and probably have to wait another half hour before I get another one.  It's been getting colder and colder in here, regardless of the number of people here. I get that it's cold outside, but I do wonder if there's something up with the central heating system. It seems to be roasting when theres no-one here, but at the moment, when every floor is jam-packed, it doesn't seem to ever get to a comfortable level of heat. Considering that my flat is set pretty low on heating, and I'm comfortable in that, I can only guess how cold it currently is in the library - I'm sitting here with my outdoor coat on for goodness sakes!

Anyway, I've been planning to go home for the past five minutes, but haven't bothered moving. Why? Because I'm sitting right by the window, and could see the crazy weather that was going on outside. Theres been blasts of harsh, cold wind that I'm watching people leaning into just to keep walking. In the past five minutes, we've had a river of rain gushing down the slight slope up to the library, a storm of hail getting buffetted by the wind and pelting the people who were unlucky enough to be outside for that minute or so, and even some snow, just floating about in a white blur in the wind, and barely even touching the ground.
For now, the wind still howls, and I get to watch all the people battling against it as they walk. On a side note, stemming from an observation I made whilst procrastinating earlier: why people wear their hair down in this kind of weather I will never know. I'd spend most of the journey getting annoyed at not being able to see for it flying in my face all the time, and then have to spend about an hour detangling the mass it would end up. And then the frizz when the rain dries - Yeesh! Each to their own I suppose.

In other news, I've found myself getting annoyed enough with the Blogger mobile app that I might go back to Blogpress for my mobile posts. If I start drafting a post, then leave it, post something else, then edit and finish the previous post (as I did with some of my ramblings during NaNo, and only recently uploaded), it not only doesn't seem to upload for hours, or even days, but often it appears back in my timeline to whenever I started writing, and NOT when I actually uploaded it. Which usually results in me logging onto my laptop wherever I can get internet, reverting the post back to draft, and re-posting it to get it to the top of my post-list. NOW WHAT IS THE POINT IN THAT?? The whole point on a mobile app for me is for ease of blogging on the go. If I have to find wi-fi for my computer every time I upload because of stuff going wrong, then it kind of makes the app null-and-void. GAH!

I admit it's only a small problem, but still annoying enough. I've been looking through the other reviews, which are rather mixed, and a lot of them not so great, and plenty of people have been having problems with uploading photos. I've been taking pictures to upload, but haven't even got around to uploading them because of my previous annoyances with the app. At least with Blogpress, as simple as it is for a blogging app, I can still trust it to do what I need on the move. I thought with it being the official app for the website, Blogger would be better, more suitable, and have more integrated features, but apparently not.

Oh, and I recently discovered the addicting game that is Skyrim. Now initially I thought the game wouldn't work on my laptop, having only 64MB of video RAM (Intel HD graphics). But my flatmate had it and she said it worked fine on her 4-year old laptop, even though by all accounts, it really shouldn't. Well I figured, since apart from the graphics, all the other specifications of my new laptop well and truly surpassed even the reccommended specifications of the game, it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. (Why they such an otherwise high-spec computer only 64MB of video RAM I will never know) But I didn't want to pay for the game if it wouldn't work. So we did a bit of a test drive. My flatmate logged into her steam account on my computer, and I downloaded and tried the game for a couple of hours. It worked fine, so I logged out of her account, created my own, and bought the game for myself.
SO IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN THE REQUIRED VIDEO RAM, DON'T PANIC!! If the rest of your computer is up to par, then it should run if you run it on low quality (which is still actually decently good in my limited opinion of computer games). I would advise finding someone who has it on steam to try it out for an hour or two before you buy it for yourself if you're unsure whether it would work. My guess is yes.
 So far, my character (Rochiriel the wood elf) is level 8, with Lydia following her around, having killed two dragons, been to the Greybeards, gone through goddess knows how many miscellaneous side quests, killed three (i think) bandit leaders, accidentally killed her horse and had to buy another, is attempting (not very successfully) to aquire enough gold to buy a house, and is slowly building on her archery, sneak, lockpicking, one-handed and block skills (because while I love archery from a distance, and its great for killing dragons with, I become a button-masher with close-combat, and the sword and shield works so much better for that kind of thing). I'm concentrating most of my perks on sneak and archery so far though, and I've managed to kill a decent number of enemies just from shooting an arrow whilst hidden. Oh, and for those who are wondering, in terms of how I managed to kill my horse, I was trying to get off to shoot a bear, but I suddenly discovered, when my character drew her bow (while still on the horse) and shot an arrow that I could fire whilst on the horse. Unfortunately, because its not first-person view, the aim is less than good, and I think I must have shot my horse whilst the bear was attacking it. So I had to go buy another. And Lydia isn't nearly as good as the elf dude with the bow I had following me for a while, but I have no idea what happened to him. He seemed to disappear after a battle with a Bandit boss. I don't know if I maybe killed him too, or if he just disappears after a while, but that was annoying. I wonder if I can pick him up again somewhere. He was good for archery training/levelling on the go. Lydia is pretty useless for the dragons, because she can't shoot it when its in the air like the dude with the bow could. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND THE ELF DUDE AGAIN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I think his name was Faelgen or something. I first met him pretty much the first town I came across, after I did a quest or so for him.
If I start some more characters in the future, I want to try one of the lizard people, and one of the feline-type ones (can't remember their names at the moment). And I'll try and keep 

Oops. Kind of went off track there. Anywhoodles, the rain has died down a little. I wonder, if I ran home now, I would get there befor the next wave of insane weather. I'm guessing not, but then I can always waste time writing here. :) Or playing Skyrim...

See you later, folks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment