Saturday 19 January 2013

Hairstyles and only one exam to go


In my glass: tropical diluting juice
From my iPod: In the Air Tonight, by Phil Collins
From my bookshelf: Physiology (Yay! not anatomy for a change!)
Outside: dull, freezing cold, occasional bursts of hail or snow, but not enough to lie
My mood: Not too bad
Todays hairstyle: a ponytail

^See new hairstyle section in the bit above? So recently, I was getting a bit annoyed at a few people suggesting I cut my hair when I went out with it down. Its now around hip-length (ie. the bottom of my U-hem is resting at the level of the top of my hip bones), and I only recently trimmed it, so the ends are healthy and make a nice, level U. It's around 1c/2a in LHC terms, meaning it's got a slight natural wave at the bottom, but is mostly straight.
But I was at home and this was the first time I had worn my hair around a lot of people since it was a waist/BSL sharp V hem, meaning it was a lot longer and thicker at the bottom. I always have my hair in a bun, and I remember well the PITA the BSL ends were when I tried to quickly shove my hair out of the way, and how my hair repertoire went from large to just three or four styles. A lot of my hair toys became unusable at the short lengths, and even now my Ravenscroft Moon is only just coming comfortably back into use.
So I decided to sit down and write down all the styles I know how to do, and can do with my current hair length. Instead of the four I had between BSL and waist, I can now do more than 75 different styles. Sure some of them may look very similar or the same to other people (I mean a bunned 4-strand box does look very similar to a big, bunned english braid) but the point is that I do have all these styles to choose from and keep me occupied in the morning. I figured if I wrote them down, I would also not be at a loss for styles to wear to parties, or formal do's/dinners etc. So I wrote them down into sections, under braids, buns, half-ups, formal/pretty, and Other.
The problem is, that I rarely use more than 3 on a regular basis. Most of these styles have only been worn once or twice. So I'm going to endeavor to wear more of them more often, and so I've added a hairstyle section to my introductory part of my usual lifestyle-type posts (ie. not my ramblings and such) and perhaps introduce you all to some new styles. Feel free to ask if you don't know what they are, and I can usually point you in the direction of pictures/tutorials etc.
Today is just a ponytail, because I don't often wear one. However, becuse of the damage you get from a ponytail, plus the simple fact that it is heavy, this is likely the last you'll see of the poor old ponytail with me, with the exception of maybe the knot-pony (which doesn't use hair elastics) and possibly the half-up pony.

In terms of exams, it's two down, one to go. I'm not going to lie; Anatomy was pretty horrible. Even with the fortnightly tests, it was still horrible. I have no clue what kind of mark I'm going to end up getting for it. Molecular Biology was actually better than expected. There were two sections with gifts of an essay question, one that was about expected, and one that was really quite hard. So all in all, not too bad for that. Just physiology next thursday, then exams are over. I might read a book tonight. I mean a regular, fiction book. No idea which one, but I'd like to read something other than for studying for a change. I have a couple of fantasy books lying aronud. I would read the hobbit if it was here, but I can't because it's on my bookshelf at my parents house. I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a kid, but never got around to readingthe Hobbit. Harry Potter, and verious other ginormous books, like Eragon, and such kind of got in the way. I have a shelf of books that are waiting to be read (I put them alphabetically into the other bookshelves once they've been read, or into a different place in the same set of shelves if its a non-fiction book. (Hey, I love my books, kay?)
As it was, having my birthday in the middle of two of the hardest exams I have ever sat, when I was stuck revising, wasn't all that much my idea of fun, so I'm taking it easy this weekend. Letting myself relax - the revising can start again next week. Unfortunately, since everyone still has exams, no one seemed free to go out on the town tonight, but hey, I can deal. Movie, popcorn and G+T methinks. Might go see the Hobbit (even if I haven't read it - I always find myself dissapointed with movies if I read books first, so maybe I'll try it this way around), but the only showing left is the 7.45 one, which finishes around 11pm, so I'm not sure. If not, it'll be a movie at home, again, a G+T, and maybe I'll pop out and get a cake to share with my flatmate. We'll see.

So for all you guys out there: good luck, stay happy, and have a good weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment