Friday 27 September 2013

Tai Chi and a new endeavour for the start of term.

 In my glass: Sanpellegrino lemon
From my iPod: Riders on the Storm (by Jaz Coleman and Kennedy) and Airplanes (By B.o.B)... Yeah, about as opposite as you can get
From my bookshelf: Nothing, yet.
Outside: dark
My mood: cheerful
Today's hairstyle:Celtic knot, held with my custom-made Aliarose stick (because I figured I'd go for one of my fancier sticks for the tai chi demo, rather than my usual nice, but less fancy go-to hair things)

Good evening all. This'll be a quick one since I'll be out with the guys from the band if all goes as planned.
Anyway, today we had a Tai Chi demonstration for the new Confucious Institute Opening. The demo seemed to go really well, and I think it might have been one of the best times I've done the form, which is always good. I've to finish an article for the student newspaper before uni starts on monday. I'm looking forward to seeing the garden in the Confucious Institute - I'm going to have to pop in sometime.

In terms of my new endeavour, I was trying to think of ways to eat better and spend less money this term. Part of the issue I always had with packed lunches is that after a while, they get so boring. I decided, since I have no classes on Tuesday lunchtime for the first time ever, I'm going to head down and sign up for the veg-cooperative  at the uni. You order a bag of local veg for £6 and pick it up on the tuesday after. Ok, but I was stuck with how to make it interesting, and remembered something I had come across once when I was video-surfing on youtube across various cooking channels (I think I had been looking for a recipe for pumpkin soup last autumn when I went on a video spree) - bento boxes. I have my answer. Basically, its healthy, and its pretty, and it doesn't really take all that much longer than a regular packed lunch to prepare -its the pre-cooking the short-grain rice that takes longest, but you can do a big batch and freeze it.
So I made up a few things to try tomorrow, mostly just out of left-overs in the fridge. I made up a batch of rice (but I should have left the lid on the pan until it cooled a bit,because it hasn't clumped together so well), and split it into single servings, then I made two super-thin little omelettes (I used one egg and cooked it in the biggest frying pan, before splitting it in half, adding some left-over butternut squash and rolled up. Then I still had some butternut squash left so I mashed it up and added a little soft cheese to make little balls. Everything is sitting in the fridge, above the veggie box, so I can just rip up some fresh veggies in the morning to fill up the space.

It barely took any time at all, so we'll see how well things go for me. It'll be interesting too to see how I can work in any less familiar veggies that might come in my veg back.

For now, good-bye guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment